Do you have a job where you have to sit most of the day? You are more than likely doing your health a major disservice! A few health concerns caused by sitting for long periods of time include:
Cancer – Low physical activity occupations have an increased incidence of cancer. A study found women’s chances of developing breast and ovary cancer were heighten if working in a sedentary job.
Heart Disease – Sedentary behaviors increase the risk of heart disease by up to 64%
Slower metabolism – The decreased muscle contractions that occurs with prolonged, immobile sitting slows the clearance of fat from the blood stream and decreases the effect of insulin.
Compromised posture – Sitting causes the pelvis to rotate backward and puts pressure on the lumbar discs. This position forces the head forward and cause the shoulders to curve to compensate for the weight transfer.
So what can you do to offset the negatives effects of being sedentary? Here are some suggestions:
- Periodically move around in your seat.
- Stand while talking on the phone or eating lunch.
- Use a stand up desk.
- Have organized breaks throughout the day.
- Walk laps with your colleagues rather than gathering in a conference room for meetings.
- Position your work surface above a treadmill so that you can be in motion throughout the day.