Being sick sucks, doesn’t it? What if there was a way to reduce or completely eliminate illness from our lives? Clean eating is the answer, people! Personally, I haven’t had a cold or the flu since I started eating clean.
So here are some suggestions on how to eat to boost your immunity:
1. Consume 5 to 6 servings of brightly colored fruits and vegetables daily. Foods such as oranges, sweet potatoes, carrots, cherries, squash and pumpkin contain beta carotene and/or vitamin C. Vitamin C increases the production of white blood cells and antibodies which helps to fight infection. Vitamin C and beta carotene help to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by raising HDL levels in the blood. Beta carotene also stimulates the immune cells called macrophages which help to kill cancer cells.
2. Eat yogurt. Good quality yogurt contains live cultures which improve and strengthen intestinal flora, thus decreasing the instance of colds by as much as 25%. Opt for plain unsweetened yogurt or Greek yogurt and add your own fresh fruit and raw local honey.
3. Add some zinc. Zinc increases the development of white blood cells which help fight infection in the body. It also increases killer cells that fight against cancer. It’s best to get zinc from your diet instead of supplements as too much zinc can actually inhibit immune function.You want to aim for no more than 15-25 milligrams daily. Here are some foods that contain rich sources of zinc:
- turkey (dark meat)
4. Consume garlic. Garlic is an incredible immunity booster that improves natural killer cell activity, stimulates white blood cell production, and reduces the build up of free radicals in the bloodstream.
5. Drink tea. A cup of black or green tea daily is a fantastic way to ward off colds. Tea contains polyphenols which help to clean up free radicals. Free radicals can actually damage your DNA and accelerate aging.
Not so difficult right? I want all of you get through the cold and flu season illness free!