Author: Clean Eating Online
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces asparagus, trimmed and sliced diagonally ¼ inch thick, tips reserved separately
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 cup fava beans or lima beans, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 4 scallions, white part only, thinly sliced
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 pound penne pasta
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, until barely golden, about 30 seconds.
- Add carrots, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sliced asparagus stalks and cook for 2 minutes, then add the asparagus tips, peas, beans and scallions.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, until all the vegetables are just tender, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in another large pot.
- Add kosher salt and pasta; cook until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes (or according to package directions).
- Drain, reserving ½ cup of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta and ¼ cup of the reserved cooking water to the vegetables, stirring and tossing over medium heat to mix well.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and allow to steam together for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Stir in the parsley, basil and mint.
- Serve with Parmesan.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 410 Fat: 13 Carbohydrates: 60 Sodium: 324 Fiber: 14 Protein: 17