Who doesn't love potato skins? This is the perfect appetizer for a casual get together or as a healthy snack for the kidlets. Normally, potato skins contain over 500 calories and 33 grams of fat per serving. This recipe has about half the calories and only 4 grams of fat!
Author: Clean Eating Online
- 4 (6-8 oz.) baking potatoes
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch paprika
- ⅛ tsp. sea salt
- 4 slices nitrate free turkey bacon
- 1½ oz. low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp. green onion, chopped
- ¼ c. low fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Scrub potatoes and pierce several times with a fork.
- Rub outside of each potato with ¼ tsp. oil.
- Place potatoes on oven rack and bake for 1 hour.
- Let potatoes cool for 1 to 2 hours. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scrape out centers, leaving ½ in. shell intact.
- Lightly oil a nonstick baking sheet with olive oil and arrange potato skins on sheet. Lightly brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder, cayenne, paprika and salt. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Place small nonstick pan over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly crisped, about 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Sprinkle cheese, bacon and onion evenly over baked shells. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes more until lightly browned.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 2 shells Calories: 234 Fat: 4 g Carbohydrates: 39 g Protein: 13 g