Veggie Eggs Benedict
Love Eggs Benedict but not crazy about ham? This dish solves that problem by substituting portobello mushrooms for the ham. Delicious!
Author: Clean Eating Online
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 Tbsp. white whole wheat flour or almond flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup low fat sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups packed baby spinach
- 3 cups portobello mushrooms
- 10 egg whites
- 4 whole grain English muffins, split and toasted
- Place flour in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, add cheese, salt and ¼ tsp pepper, stirring until melted.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add and saute spinach, mushrooms and remaining pepper until spinach is wilted and mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate skillet add 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil and scramble egg whites over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Top English muffin halves evenly with scrambled egg whites and spinach mushroom mixture. Drizzle with cheese sauce. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 ½ English muffin halves, ¼ cup egg whites, ¼ cup spinach mixture, 2 Tbsp cheese sauce Calories: 270 Fat: 4.5 g Carbohydrates: 36 g Sugar: 10 g Fiber: 7 g Protein: 22 g