Dhal, sometimes spelled dahl or dal, is a staple of Indian vegetarian cuisine. Serve with rice, or, add extra liquid to make a more soup-like dhal.
- 1 cup yellow split peas, uncooked
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1½ tsp cumin, whole seeds or ground
- 2 whole cloves
- dash pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, place the peas and water or vegetable broth, and bring to a slow simmer.
- Add the turmeric, cayenne and salt, and cover.
- Allow to cook for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat the onion, cumin and clove in the butter.
- Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until onion is soft.
- Add the onion and spices to the split peas, and allow to simmer for at least 5 more minutes.
- Add a dash of pepper and more salt, if desired, and serve hot with rice or alone in a soup bowl.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 207 Fat: 3 Carbohydrates: 32 Fiber: 13 Protein: 12