All foods in nature contain both alkaline and acid forming elements. Based on the food we consume, balance can either be attained or not attained in the body. Consuming too many acid forming foods can cause a condition called acidosis and this can have consequences on our health. Acidosis occurs when kidneys and lungs can’t keep the body’s ph level in balance. If your body doesn’t receive the nutrients required to sustain a slightly alkaline state, it will draw from it’s own stores which affects the body’s ability to repair itself. This makes illness much more likely to occur.
There are two types of acidosis – metabolic and respiratory. Metabolic acidosis occurs when your kidneys can’t get rid of acid buildup. Respiratory acidosis occurs when your lungs do not properly eliminate carbon dioxide (CO2). When CO2 builds up in your blood, it becomes more acidic.
Conditions that can cause respiratory acidosis include:
- Injury to the chest
- Misusing sedatives, including alcohol abuse
- Muscle weakness in the chest
- Nervous system problems
Metabolic acidosis can be caused by the following:
- Eating a diet that is too high in fat and too low in carbohydrates
- Kidney failure
- Aspirin or methanol poisoning
For optimal health, your body should always be in a slightly alkaline state, about 7.3. Here are six of the most alkaline forming foods to work into your everyday diet:
1. Cruciferous vegetables: These include broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts
2. Leafy greens: These include kale, Swiss chard, spinach and turnip greens
3. Root vegetables: Beets, carrots, radishes, turnips and rutabaga
4. Garlic: Not only is garlic an alkaline forming food, it also promotes cardiovascular and immune health by lowering blood pressure and cleansing the liver
5. Cayenne pepper: Cayenne pepper is rich in vitamin A and has antibacterial properties. It fights free radicals that lead to stress and illness.
6. Lemons: Lemons are a natural disinfectant and may be the most alkaline foods of all. They energize the liver and promote detoxification
Alkaline foods are essential for good health. Try to include as many as possible in your clean eating lifestyle!