Cilantro is a nutritional powerhouse! Here are 6 excellent reasons to incorporate this nutritious (and delicious) herb in to your diet:
1. Cilantro is a natural and effective cleansing agent and is perfect for toxic metal cleansing in the body. The chemical compounds in cilantro bind to toxic metals and loosen them from the tissue.
2. Cilantro contains good amounts of antioxidants, essential oils, vitamins, and dietary fiber, which help reduce LDL or “bad cholesterol” while raising HDL or “good cholesterol” levels.
3. The herb is a good source of minerals including potassium and iron. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure. Iron is essential for red blood cell production.
4. Cilantro is rich in many vital vitamins, including folic-acid, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin-A, beta carotene, vitamin-C, which are essential for optimum health. Vitamin-C is a powerful natural antioxidant. 100 g of cilantro leaves provide 30% of daily recommended levels of vitamin-C.
5. It provides about 225% of recommended daily intake of vitamin-A! Vitamin-A, an important fat soluble vitamin and anti-oxidant, is also required for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin and is also essential for vision. Consumption of foods rich in vitamin-A help to protect the body from lung and oral cavity cancers.
6. Cilantro is one of the richest herbal sources for vitamin K. Vitamin-K has a key role in bone mass building by promoting osteotrophic activity in the bones.