Do you or a loved one suffer from asthma? There are many medications designed to relieve the wheezing and coughing that come with asthma. Here are a few natural remedies that may also help with this condition:
- Coffee -The caffeine in regular hot coffee can help to relax and clear airways, thus making breathing easier. Try not to drink more than 3 cups. If you don’t care for coffee, a cup of hot black tea will give you the same benefits.
- Garlic – Garlic helps to clear congestion from the lungs which will help to ease asthma symptoms. Try making garlic tea by adding 3 or 4 garlic cloves to a pot of hot water and let steep for 5 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature before drinking.
- Eucalyptus oil – Eucalyptus acts as a decongestant and can clear mucus due to the chemical eucalyptol it contains. Try adding a few drop of the oil to a bowl of boiled water and breath in the steam for about 20 minutes.
- Figs – The nutritional properties contained in figs help to drain phlegm, thus making breathing easier. Soak 3 figs in a cup of water overnight. The next morning eat the figs and drink the water on an empty stomach. You’ll need to continue this treatment for a few months so your body can absorb all the nutrients.
- Ginger – Ginger is great for asthmatics because it helps to reduce inflammation in the body. Make ginger tea by cutting up an inch piece of ginger into small pieces and adding it to boiling water. Let it steep for 5 minutes, allow it to cool then drink.
- Onions – Onions contain anti inflammatory properties that help to reduce airway restrictions in those with asthma. The sulfer in onions also helps to decrease lung inflammation. You can eat the onions raw or if you prefer you may cook them first.
- Honey – Honey is considered one of the oldest natural remedies for asthma. Simply mix one teaspoon of honey in a glass of hot water and drink it slowly 3 times a day. To remove phlegm and make breathing easier at bedtime, consume one teaspoon of honey mixed with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder.
- Lemon – People with asthma tend to have low levels of Vitamin C. Lemons are rich in this vitamin and also contain antioxidants than can help relieve asthma symptoms. Squeeze a half a lemon into a glass of warm water and drink. Do this regularly in order to ease asthma symptoms.