Asian Bean and Rice Rolls
Author: Clean Eating Online
- 1 cup medium-grain rice
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dry cooking sherry
- 2 tsp sucanat or turbinado sugar
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon rind
- 2 Tbsp slivered almonds
- 2 tsp dark sesame oil
- ½ cup diagonally-sliced snow peas (1/4-inch slices)
- 2 tsp minced ginger root or ¾ tsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 1 orange, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium green onions and tops, thinly sliced
- 1 dash each of salt and white pepper (or black pepper)
- 12 large Boston lettuce leaves or leaf lettuce
- Cook rice according to package directions. Heat vinegar, sherry, sugar, and lemon rind in small saucepan over medium heat until sugar is melted, about 1 minute. Drizzle vinegar mixture over rice and toss.
- While rice is cooking, cook nuts in sesame oil in small skillet over medium heat until toasted, about 2 minutes; remove from skillet. Add snow peas, ginger, and water to skillet; cook, covered, over medium heat until snow peas are crisp-tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir nuts, snow peas, ginger root, beans, cucumber, orange and green onions into rice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cooked bean-rice mixture can be served or rolled when warm or chilled. When ready to make rolls, spoon about ¼ cup packed rice mixture onto each lettuce leaf and roll up.
Calories: 373 Fat: 6 g Carbohydrates: 66 g Sugar: 10 g Sodium: 316 mg Fiber: 9 g Protein: 12 g