Bean and Barley Soup
Author: Clean Eating Online
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- any other vegetables desired, ½ cup each
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or butter
- 8 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup pearled barley, uncooked
- 1 cup pinto or white beans, pre-soaked if dry
- ⅓ cup tomato paste or crushed tomatoes
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp celery salt (optional)
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp oregano or Italian spice mix
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1 tsp onion powder (optional)
- 2 large bay leaves
- In a large soup pot, saute the onions, celery, carrots and any other vegetables for 3-5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth or water and all other ingredients and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium low.
- Allow to simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally, until barley is soft and somewhat fluffy.
- Add more spices to taste and enjoy!