Drizzle with honey for an added touch of sweetness.
Author: Clean Eating Online
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons plus ¾ cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus ½ cup brown sugar, divided
- 5 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts, divided
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- ¾ cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon coconut or vanilla extract
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Combine coconut, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 2 tablespoons macadamia nuts in a small bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; stir to combine. Set aside.
- Whisk the remaining ¾ cup all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk the remaining ½ cup brown sugar, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, egg, egg white, buttermilk, butter and coconut (or vanilla) extract in a medium bowl until well combined. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients; stir until just combined. Add blueberries and the remaining 3 tablespoons nuts; stir just to combine. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with the reserved coconut topping and gently press into the batter.
- Bake the muffins until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack at least 5 minutes more before serving.
Calories: 202 Fat: 9 g Carbohydrates: 28 g Sodium: 122 mg Fiber: 2 g Protein: 4 g