I love blueberry muffins, especially when made with fresh blueberries. I also like it when they are packed full of blueberries...I basically like them to be BLUE! This recipe is perfect because it's delicious and clean and only 166 calories per muffin!
Author: Clean Eating Online
- 2 cups plus 3 Tbsp. almond flour, divided
- ⅔ c. plus 3 Tbsp. sucanat sweetener, turbinado or coconut palm sugar, divided
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. plus ⅛ tsp nutmeg, divided
- ½ tsp. plus ⅛ tsp. sea salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 egg
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12 count muffin tin with paper liners.
- Prepare topping: In a small bowl combine 3 Tbsp. flour, 3 Tbsp. sucanat, ½ tsp. cinnamon, ⅛ tsp. nutmeg and ⅛ tsp. salt. Add butter and stir with a fork until just moistened. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together 2 cups flour, ⅔ cup sucanat, 1 tsp. cinnamon, ¼ tsp. nutmeg, ½ tsp. salt, baking powder and baking soda. Gently fold in blueberries. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk and applesauce. Add to blueberry mixture and stir just until moistened. Do not overmix. Spoon into muffin cups.
- Crumble topping with your fingers evenly over muffin batter. Bake in center rack in oven, rotating halfway through, for about 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from tin and let cool on wire racks. Makes 12 muffins.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 166 Fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 37g Sugar: 18g Protein: 4g