Chinese Barbecued Tofu and Vegetables
- 1 package (about 1 lb.) extra-firm, regular tofu
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, minced
- 8 ounces no salt added tomato sauce
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- ¼ teaspoon five spice powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- sea salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ large red or green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts
- Slice the tofu into ½-inch thick slices. Place them on a few paper towels and cover them with 2 or 3 more. Press lightly to remove some of the moisture from the tofu. Cut the slices into triangles or other shapes.
- Heat an oiled, non-stick skillet until hot, and place the tofu slices in it. Brown well on both sides. When they are done, place them in a crockpot that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Set the crockpot to high heat and cover.
- Using the same skillet, sauté the onions, garlic, and ginger until the onion softens, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, and heat, stirring, until bubbly. Pour the sauce over the tofu and stir well to combine. Replace the cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- After the tofu has cooked for 3 hours, add the broccoli and other vegetables. Stir well to combine and cover. Cook for about 1 more hour. Vegetables should be tender but not over-cooked. Serve over brown rice. Makes 3-4 servings.
- To cook this in the oven, spray a non-metal baking dish with cooking spray. Cook the tofu and sauce for 30 minutes before adding the vegetables. Cook for about 15 more minutes, until vegetables are just tender.