- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup red-wine vinegar
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 4 small cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1¼ cups vegetable broth, or water
- 1 cup couscous
- 2½ cups water
- 1 cup French green lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups arugula, any tough stems removed, or mixed salad greens
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- To prepare vinaigrette: Combine oil, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and garlic in a food processor. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To prepare salad: Bring 1¼ cups broth (or water) to a boil in a small saucepan. Add couscous, cover, remove from the heat and let stand until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Combine 2½ cups water and lentils in another saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until just tender, 15 to 25 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the lentils or they will fall apart in the salad. Drain any excess water and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- If arugula leaves are large, tear into bite-size pieces. Toss arugula (or greens) with ¼ cup of the vinaigrette in a large bowl, then divide among 4 large plates. In the same bowl, toss the couscous and lentils with another ¼ cup vinaigrette; divide the mixture among the plates. Top each salad with cucumber, tomatoes and feta and drizzle each with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette. (Cover and refrigerate the remaining 1 cup vinaigrette for up to 1 week.)
Serving size: 2 cups Calories: 549 Fat: 18 g Carbohydrates: 79 g Sodium: 579 mg Fiber: 15 g Protein: 22 g