Creole Rice and Red Bean Salad
Author: Clean Eating Online
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1½ cups water
- ½ 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place the rice, water, tomatoes, thyme and cayenne pepper in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Transfer the rice to a baking sheet and let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the olive oil and lime juice in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the kidney beans, red and green peppers, celery, green onions, rice and olive oil mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
- (This can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.)
Serving size: ¾ cups Calories: 382 Fat: 7 g Carbohydrates: 66 g Sugar: 5 g Fiber: 12 g Protein: 12 g