- 1 cup white basmati rice
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (1 lb) eggplant, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1½ tsp curry powder
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt (optional)
- In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, combine the rice, 1 ½ cups water, and ½ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Stir the rice once, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 18 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, eggplant, curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until eggplant is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas and cook just until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from heat and stir in the basil. Fluff the rice with a fork. Serve the vegetables over the rice with yogurt, if using.
Calories: 339 Fat: 5 g Carbohydrates: 71 g Sugar: 8 g Fiber: 11 g Protein: 9 g