- 1 (8 oz.) extra lean turkey sausage
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ c. mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ⅛ tsp. sea salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. corn meal
- 1 (1 lb.) whole wheat pizza dough
- 6 oz. low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 c. tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut a slit along the length of the sausage and discard casing.Place sausage into bowl and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a medium sauté pan over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add peppers and mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer mixture into a bowl.
- Return pan to burner over medium-high heat. Add sausage meat and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Cook for about 4 minutes.
- Place sausage onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Brush inside of a 12 inch deep dish pizza pan with remaining 1 Tbsp. oil and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Roll out dough to 14 inches in diameter. Place dough into pan and press to sides and bottom of pan gently, stretching dough 1 ½ inches up the side of the pan.
- Sprinkle half the mozzarella over bottom of crust.
- Evenly layer sausage, then sautéed vegetables onto crust. Pour tomato sauce evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 20 -25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut into 12 wedges. Sprinkle each slice with ¼ tsp. oregano and serve immediately.
Calories: 186 Fat: 9 g Carbohydrates: 17 g Protein: 10 g