Great Northern Bean Salad
- For the salad:
- 1 cup dried Great Northern or other white beans, picked over
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tablespoon crushed coriander seeds
- For the dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped, fresh coriander leaves or parsley
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the dry beans with enough water to cover them by 2 inches and add salt, bay leaves and coriander seeds. Simmer the beans, uncovered, stirring occasionally and adding more hot water if necessary to keep the beans covered, for about 1 hour, until the beans are just tender.
- While the beans are cooking, prepare the dressing. In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and oil and stir in the garlic.
- Drain the cooked beans, discard the bay leaves and add them to the dressing. Toss the salad and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let the salad cool, and then stir in the onion and herbs.
- Serve the salad at room temperature.
Serving size: ½ cup Calories: 231 Fat: 8 g Carbohydrates: 32 g Sugar: 4 g Fiber: 10 g Protein: 10 g