Grilled Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Fig and Honey
Mixing honey with the goat cheese makes it easier to spread over the cinnamon-raisin bread.
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 (4-ounce) package goat cheese
- 8 (1-ounce) slices cinnamon-raisin bread
- 2 tablespoons fig preserves
- 2 teaspoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Combine first 3 ingredients, stirring until well blended.
- Spread 1 tablespoon goat cheese mixture on each of 4 bread slices; top each slice
- with 1½ teaspoons preserves and ½ teaspoon basil. Top with
- remaining bread slices.
- Lightly coat outside of bread with cooking spray.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches to pan.
- Place a cast-iron or heavy skillet on top of sandwiches; press gently to
- flatten. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly toasted
- (leave cast-iron skillet on sandwiches while they cook). Repeat with
- remaining sandwiches. Sprinkle with sugar.
Serving size: 1 sandwich Calories: 243 Fat: 8 g Carbohydrates: 33 g Sodium: 326 mg Fiber: 2 g Protein: 9 g