Wondering which vegetables give you the most bang for your buck? Vegetable gardening is a great way to save money but have you ever wondered exactly which ones will give you the greatest return on your investment? Also, I don’t know about you, but I am a VEERRRY impatient gardener – I want those veggies like RIGHT NOW. Here are 5 vegetables that will not disappoint:
1. Tomatoes – Tomatoes are simply divine, aren’t they? You can slice them up for sandwiches, chop them to use in salsa and even can them and enjoy them in winter.
2. Lettuce – Lettuce is great because in about 30 days from the time you plant the seeds, you’ll have delicious lettuce! It’s the perfect veggie for those of us who are less than patient (like me for example). Make sure you harvest lettuce frequently because it replenishes itself super fast.
3. Bell peppers – Talk about a cost saver! For the price you’ll pay for 1 or 2 peppers at the store, you can grow an entire bag yourself!
4. Squash and zucchini – Plant these seeds sparingly and give them lots of room to spread out. It’s always surprising to me just how many squash and zucchini come out of one tiny garden!
5. Herbs – If you’ve ever purchased fresh herbs at the store you are well aware of how expensive they are. Plant your favorites and snip as needed for recipes, teas or whatever your little gardening heart desires.