- 1 cup diced onion
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup liquid egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs, or ½ teaspoon dried
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons farmer's cheese, or reduced-fat ricotta
- Bring onion and ¼ cup water to a boil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cover and cook until the onion is slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
- Uncover and continue cooking until the water has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Drizzle in oil and stir until coated. Continue cooking, stirring often, until the onion is beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Pour in egg substitute, reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring constantly with a heatproof rubber spatula, until the egg is starting to set, about 20 seconds.
- Continue cooking, lifting the edges so the uncooked egg will flow underneath, until mostly set, about 30 seconds more.
- Reduce heat to low. Sprinkle herbs, salt and pepper over the frittata. Spoon cheese on top.
- Lift up an edge of the frittata and drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon water under it. Cover and cook until the egg is completely set and the cheese is hot, about 2 minutes. Slide the frittata out of the pan using the spatula and serve.
Calories: 264 Fat: 12 g Carbohydrates: 16 g Sodium: 642 mg Fiber: 3 g Protein: 22 g