Love the Gingerbread Lattes from Starbucks? Starbucks took a step in the right direction when they disclosed the ingredients in their Pumpkin Spice Latte. The problem is they have yet to reveal the ingredients in all of their drinks. Until Starbucks decides to be completely transparent about what they're using in their products, I just don't feel good about drinking them.
Not to worry - you don't have to go without those delicious Gingerbread Lattes! You can simply make them at home. This recipe contains only 6 ingredients - hurray for simplicity! Also, this version contains coconut palm sugar which is much healthier than white sugar. Oh, and it's also MUCH cheaper! Here's the recipe:
4 inch piece of ginger
2 cups water
1 cup coconut palm sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 whole cloves
- Peel and thinly slice the piece of ginger.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water and sugar. Simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Add remaining ingredients except the vanilla extract and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 - 20 minutes, until the mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Strain syrup through a sieve to strain out the ginger and the cloves.
- Let cool and store in the refrigerator in a glass container with a lid.
Instructions for making a latte:
- Put 2 Tbsp ginger syrup in a coffee mug.
- Heat 6 oz milk in a small saucepan. While milk is heating up brew a cup of strong coffee.
- Take milk off the burner before it begins to boil. Pour into blender and blend until milk is frothy.
- Pour 1/4 cup off brewed hot coffee into mug with ginger syrup. Pour milk into cup and stir. Enjoy!