This sandwich is amazing for lunch or for dinner. It takes a little bit of preparation but it is SOOOO worth it!
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. skim milk
- Cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 4 (1 oz.) slices low fat Swiss cheese
- Season chicken with 1 tsp. oil, oregano, salt and black pepper.
- Heat a nonstick saute pan over medium high heat. Add chicken and saute until light golden and thoroughly cooked, about 2 - 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together egg whites and milk. Season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Set aside.
- Spread about 1 tsp. Dijon mustard on one side of each bread slice and place, mustard side up, on a work surface. Layer spinach, pear, and chicken onto 4 slices of bread. Top each with one slice of cheese and another slice of bread, mustard side down, pressing gently.
- In a medium nonstick saute pan heat remaining 1 tsp. oil over medium heat. Carefully dip one side of a sandwich into egg mixture until egg mixture is halfway up the bread. Carefully flip to immerse the other side in egg, then transfer to hot pan.
- Saute sandwich, turning once, until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes total. Remove from pan.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Cut sandwiches in half and serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 sandwich Calories: 420 Fat: 7 g Carbohydrates: 34 g Protein: 53 g