These are great warm from the oven, but also keep well for a few days and freeze beautifully. 1 dozen muffins | Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ¾ cup nonfat plain yogurt
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 3 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups white whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup cornmeal, preferably medium or fine stone-ground
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cups cranberries, fresh or frozen (thawed), coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- Whisk ½ cup sugar, yogurt, oil, egg, 2 teaspoons lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the yogurt mixture and fold until almost blended. Gently fold in cranberries. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon lemon zest in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake the muffins until golden brown and they spring back lightly to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Serving size: 1 muffin Calories: 187 Fat: 7 g Carbohydrates: 29 g Sodium: 255 mg Fiber: 3 g Protein: 4 g