Pasta with Roasted Eggplant and Tomatoes
- pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ cup chopped, fresh basil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound penne or rigatoni
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large or 4 small eggplants
- sea salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Prick the eggplants in a few places with a knife. Place on a baking sheet and roast for about 40 minutes, turning occasionally for even cooking, until it's tender but not falling apart. When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, peel and remove the large seed pockets. Dice the pulp and set it in a drainer to eliminate its bitter juices.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and stir.
- While the pasta is cooking, warm the tomato sauce in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the eggplant and the rest of the ingredients and warm through.
- Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper to taste. When the pasta is al dente, drain and toss with the sauce. Serve at once.
Serving size: ¼ lb pasta and ¾ cup sauce Calories: 455 Fat: 4 g Carbohydrates: 92 g Sugar: 10 g Fiber: 14 g Protein: 18 g