Serve with bread and a tossed green salad.
- 4 giant portobello mushroom caps (about 20 oz. total)
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar, or more as needed
- 1 ½ Tbs. basil pesto
- 1 ½ cups shredded combination mozzarella and provolone cheeses
- 2 oz. soy “pepperoni” slices
- 6 artichoke bottoms (6 oz.), chopped
- 2 Tbs. (1 oz.) chopped oil-cured olives, optional
- Pinch oregano
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- Line baking sheet with foil, and spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Wipe mushroom caps clean, and remove stems.
- Chop stems, and place in mixing bowl.
- Using small spoon, gently scoop out black gills on underside of mushroom caps, and discard gills.
- Place mushrooms, cap side down, on foil-lined sheet.
- Combine balsamic vinegar and pesto in small mixing bowl, and brush mixture on mushroom caps.
- Place in oven, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, combine in bowl 1 cup cheese, soy “pepperoni” slices, artichoke bottoms, chopped mushroom stems, olives, if using, and oregano, tossing to mix well.
- Remove mushrooms from oven, and, dividing mixture evenly, fill each cap. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup cheese over mushrooms.
- Bake 7 to 10 minutes more, remove from oven and serve.