Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized Onions & Goat Cheese
This is an incredibly satisfying and tasty vegetable dish. you can even make the majority of it the day before! (Adapted from Clean Eating magazine)
Author: Clean Eating Online
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks
- ½ tsp. plus ⅛ tsp. sea salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Zest 1 orange
- 4 Tbsp. orange juice, divided
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, divided
- 3 Tbsp. whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 3 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- Arrange 1 rack in upper third and 1 rack in lower third of oven.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Divide potatoes evenly among sheets.
- Toss each sheet of potatoes with ½ Tbsp. oil, ¼ tsp. of salt and pepper. Spread potatoes in single layer and put one sheet in upper and one sheet in lower third of oven.
- Roast for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange zest, juice and honey.
- Remove potatoes from oven and drizzle with orange juice mixture, dividing evenly.
- Toss to coat and spread potatoes in a single layer.
- Return sheets to oven, switching rack positions, and roast until potatoes are just tender and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil on medium low in a large skillet. Add onion and season with remaining ⅛ tsp. salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, lightly browned and caramelized, 15-18 minutes. ( If making ahead of time, cover and refrigerate potatoes and onions in separate containers and bring to room temperature before proceeding with next step.)
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- In an 11 x 7 baking dish gently combine potatoes, remaining 2 Tbsp. orange juice and 1½ tsp. thyme and spread evenly.
- Layer onions, panko, and cheese over top.
- Bake until potatoes are hot and cheese is lightly browned, 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining ½ tsp. thyme.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Serving size: ⅔ cup Calories: 242 Fat: 5 g Carbohydrates: 46 g Sodium: 255 mg Fiber: 8 g Protein: 5 g