- Quinoa & Carrot Slaw
- 1½ cups water
- ¾ cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 3 large)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Sesame-Honey Tempeh
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 8-ounce packages tempeh, crumbled into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 scallions, sliced
- To prepare quinoa: Bring 1½ cups water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Add quinoa and return to a boil.
- Reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook until the water is absorbed, 10 to 14 minutes.
- Uncover and let stand.
- To prepare carrot slaw: Meanwhile, combine carrots, rice vinegar, sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon soy sauce in a medium bowl.
- Set aside.
- To prepare tempeh: Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add tempeh and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Combine honey, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons water and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Add to the pan and cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened and coats the tempeh, about 1 minute.
- Divide the quinoa among 4 bowls and top each with ½ cup carrot slaw and ¾ cup tempeh mixture.
- Sprinkle with scallions.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 536 Fat: 27 Carbohydrates: 53 Sodium: 588 Fiber: 5 Protein: 28