Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs
Looking for a new spaghetti and meatballs recipe? This gluten free version is delicious!
Author: Clean Eating Online
Cuisine: Gluten free
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 3-pound spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1¼ teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Halve squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place face down in a microwave-safe dish; add water. Microwave, uncovered, on high until the flesh can be easily scraped with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Scrape the squash flesh into the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the moisture is evaporated and the squash is beginning to brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in ¼ cup parsley. Remove from heat and keep covered.
- Combine the remaining ¼ cup parsley, ¼ cup Parmesan, ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning, onion powder, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add turkey; gently mix to combine (do not overmix). Form into 12 meatballs.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs, reduce heat to medium and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Push the meatballs to the side of the pan, add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushed red pepper, remaining ¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning and ¼ teaspoon salt; stir to coat the meatballs.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meatballs are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve the sauce and meatballs over the squash, sprinkled with the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan.
Serving size: ¾ c squash, ¾ c sauce, 3 meatballs Calories: 409 Fat: 18 g Carbohydrates: 31 g Sodium: 581 mg Fiber: 8 g Protein: 32 g Cholesterol: 74 mg