- Stuffed Eggplant
- 3 large eggplants, cut into 3-inch-thick rounds
- 4 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling eggplant, divided
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin slices
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 12-oz. pkg. Quorn meatless ground
- 1½ tsp. ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- ¼-1/2 cup butter
- ¾ cup broken angel hair pasta
- 2 cups brown rice
- ½ tsp. saffron
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Salt eggplant rounds on both sides, and place on large platter.
- Let sweat 20 minutes.
- Rinse off salt, and transfer to 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Drizzle with oil, flip rounds over, and drizzle with oil again.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, and cook 20 minutes, or until onions begin to brown.
- Increase heat to medium-high, and add pine nuts.
- Cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until pine nuts are browned, stirring occasionally. Transfer onion mixture to plate.
- Add remaining 2 Tbs. oil and Quorn ground to pan.
- Sauté over medium heat 7 to 10 minutes, or until browned.
- Stir in allspice, cayenne, and onion mixture; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Use teaspoon to push shallow well into center of each eggplant round.
- Spoon 1½ Tbs. tomato paste into each round.
- Divide Quorn mixture among eggplant rounds.
- Top each round with ¼ cup crushed tomatoes; some should spill over into baking dish.
- Add ½ cup water to pan, cover with foil, and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, reduce oven temperature to 300°F, and bake 10 minutes more. Cover loosely with foil, and let rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- To make Rice: Heat butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add angel hair pasta, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until browned.
- Stir in long-grain rice until coated with butter.
- Add saffron, salt, and 4 cups water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 15 to 18 minutes, or until Rice is tender.
- Remove from heat, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Fluff with fork.
- Serve eggplant rounds on bed of Rice.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 502 Fat: 37 Carbohydrates: 37 Sugar: 12 Sodium: 511 Fiber: 15 Protein: 16