When you’re eating clean, there are foods you definitely want to eat. Specifically, you’ll want to include fresh veggies, fruit, lean protein and whole grains in your diet. But there are a few items you certainly need to eliminate in order to live in optimal health. Here are 5 items to get rid of asap:
- Artificial sweeteners: Why are artificial sweeteners bad? Artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose (Splenda) raise your risk of diabetes and promote weight gain. Even the FDA concedes that excess levels of free aspartic acid in the body can trigger migraines, asthma attacks, anxiety, depression and other reactions. In addition, because this amino acid impairs glucose uptake in the brain, it may cause fatigue and memory loss.
- Stale spices: Did you know that after a year spices lose all of their flavor? After opening a new bottle mark on the bottle the date one year from today. That way you’ll know when to buy a new one.
- Commercial cleaning products: So many commercial cleaning products can be replaced by non-toxic, inexpensive, everyday household products. Baking soda, white vinegar, lemon juice and hydrogen peroxide are a few things you can use to clean and disinfect your home. For example, lemon juice is a fantastic natural whitener, vinegar and water makes an excellent all-purpose cleaner, and vinegar combined with hydrogen peroxide works well as both a disinfectant and sanitizer. Baking soda is great for scrubbing your bathroom and kitchen.
- Air Fresheners: Room deodorizers frequently contain chemicals which have been linked to a variety of health problems, including cancer. Endocrine-disrupting chemicals are also commonly found in air fresheners and room deodorizers. Opening windows occasionally can help air out your home naturally and will improve your home’s general air quality.
- Your chair: Have you heard the phrase “sitting is the new smoking”? Sitting has been linked to a variety of health problems, including obesity and cardiovascular disease. Even if you exercise frequently, sitting for prolonged periods can still put you at risk for chronic disease. To combat the effects of sitting, try to stand at work as much as possible. Avoid sitting for more than 50 minutes of every hour. Getting a stand-up desk is a great idea! The more you get up from and stay away from your chair, the better.
So in order to live healthier, get rid of the above 5 items. You and your family will feel so much better!