Perfect for a summer brunch or try it with a tossed salad for a light supper.
- ¾ cup whole-wheat pastry flour or almond flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk
- ½ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- To prepare crust: Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center, add oil and water and gradually stir them in to form a soft dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll the dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
- Transfer to a 9-inch pie pan, preferably deep-dish, and press into the bottom and up the sides.
- Trim any overhanging crust.
- Line the dough with a piece of foil or parchment paper large enough to lift out easily; fill evenly with pie weights or dry beans.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil or paper and weights.
- Let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- To prepare filling: Whisk eggs and milk in a medium bowl.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over the crust, then layer half the tomatoes evenly over the cheese.
- Sprinkle with corn, thyme, ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and the remaining ¼ cup cheese.
- Layer the remaining tomatoes on top and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Bake the pie until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 258 Fat: 14 Carbohydrates: 24 Sodium: 379 Fiber: 2 Protein: 8