- 6 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp paprika
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ c. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- ½ small bulb fennel, trimmed
- 8 (1 oz.) slices Ezekiel or whole grain bread
- 8 (1 oz.) slices low fat Swiss cheese
- 2 c. spinach
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange tomatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tsp. olive oil and sprinkle with paprika, salt and pepper. Roast in oven for about 1 hour or until shriveled and lightly browned.
- In a small saucepan bring vinegar and honey to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, until mixture is reduced to ⅓ cup. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave fennel into ⅛ in. thick slices. Set aside.
- Arrange bread on a flat surface. Brush the 2 Tbsp. olive oil evenly on one side of each slice. Flip 4 slices over, olive oil side down, and layer with one slice of cheese. Add tomatoes, fennel and spinach, dividing evenly. Drizzle each with 2 tsp. balsamic syrup, top with another slice of cheese and top with remaining bread slices , olive oil side up.
- Heat a large nonstick saute pan on medium. Place 2 sandwiches in pan and cook, turning once, until cheese melts, filling is warm and bread is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Cover and keep warm. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Slice each sandwich in half and serve immediately.
Calories: 396 Fat: 3.5 g Carbohydrates: 47 g Sugar: 20 g Fiber: 6 g Protein: 27 g