Yellow Split Pea Soup
This easy recipe is vegan, low calorie and low in fat! Can be served as is over rice or add extra liquid to make this soup a bit thinner.
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 cup yellow split peas, uncooked
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1½ tsp cumin, whole seeds or ground
- 2 whole cloves
- dash pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, place the peas and water or vegetable broth, and bring to a slow simmer. Add the turmeric, cayenne and salt, and cover. Allow to cook for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat the onion, cumin and clove in the butter. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until onion is soft. Add the onion and spices to the split peas, and allow to simmer for at least 5 more minutes.
- Add a dash of pepper and more salt, if desired, and serve hot with rice or alone in a soup bowl.
Calories: 207 Fat: 3.5 g Saturated fat: .6 g Carbohydrates: 32.8 Fiber: 13.2 g Protein: 12.5 Cholesterol: 0