- 1 cup unsweetened extra dark cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ cup sucanat or turbinado sugar
- ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup low fat sour cream
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tsp. skim milk
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg plus 2 egg whites
- 1 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl combine cocoa powder, 1 cup sucanat or turbinado, flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl whisk together sour cream, ⅓ cup milk, oil, vanilla, and whole egg.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Add egg whites to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Whip egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining ¼ cup sucanat to whites. Continue whipping until medium stiff peaks form. Fold whites in thirds into cake batter with a rubber spatula.
- Fill each of the 12 cupcake liners ¾ full with batter.
- Tap pan on counter and put into oven. Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cupcakes cool completely.
- When cupcakes have completely cooled, combine chocolate and remaining 2 tsp. milk in a bowl and microwave on 50% power for 30 seconds.
- Stir until melted chocolate is completely smooth. Spread a thin layer on top of each cupcake.
- Sprinkle with additional shaved chocolate if desired.
Serving size: 1 cupcake Calories: 160 Fat: 6 g Carbohydrates: 28 g Protein: 4 g