Asparagus and Mushroom Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Author: Clean Eating Online
- One 12-ounce package firm or extra-firm silken tofu*
- ¼ cup plain soy milk (almond milk or coconut milk if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoons sea salt
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon vegan Parmesan (optional)
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 12 ounces)
- ¼ cup shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 heaping cup (about 4 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350. Put first 8 ingredients (tofu through salt) into blender. Puree until completely smooth, stirring a couple of times between blending.
- Mix rice with 3 tablespoons of the tofu mixture and the vegan Parmesan (optional). Add freshly ground black pepper to taste. Lightly grease a pie pan with extra virgin olive oil, and press the rice into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Snap the tough ends off the asparagus and discard. Cut off the top 3 inches and set aside. Chop the remaining stalks into ½-inch pieces.
- Coat a medium non-stick saucepan with olive oil and heat. Add the shallots and cook for about 1 minute. Add the garlic, asparagus, and two tablespoons water. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, and 2 more tablespoons water. Cover and cook 2 more minutes. Remove cover, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring, for a minute or two until most liquid has evaporated. Separate out the asparagus tips from the rest of the vegetables.
- Spread the vegetables (excluding the asparagus tips) on top of the rice crust. Pour the remaining tofu mixture over the vegetables (use a flexible spatula to get it all out of the blender), stirring lightly to distribute it through the vegetables. Arrange the asparagus tips over
- the top and grease lightly with olive oil.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes before cutting.
Calories: 223 Fat: 5 g Carbohydrates: 34 g Sodium: 441 mg Fiber: 4 g Protein: 12 g